It worked! Yogurt can really be made in a crockpot. I just googled yogurt and crockpot to find a recipe. All that's needed is a cup of plain yogurt (Stonyfield Organic Cream Top Plain in this case), non-ultra-pasteurized mik (Wegman's Organic Whole Milk), a crockpot, and some bath towels. The milk is warmed for 3 hours on low in the slow cooker, unplugged, wrapped in some towels, and left to cool for 3-4 hours. Then a cup of the plain yogurt starter is added, crockpot is rewrapped, and 7-8 hours later, voila! It's pretty exciting to see half of gallon of liquidy milk become slightly more than half a gallon of thick yogurt. I saved a cup of this first batch in the freezer to use as a starter for another batch. I'm also curious to try other brands. I have some Hawthorne Valley yogurt waiting for the next try. Christian and I love yogurt, especially with Muesli and honey, or granola. Now we can have it at half the price.



No comments:
Post a Comment