6.06.2011

1921 - 2011

lineup
madera
halloween
When Ulf and I married, waigong gifted me with a photo album of old pictures. I found these among them. I never realized what a snazzy dresser my grandfather was. My favorite is the 3rd photo. I love his plaid pants with the plaid shirt and the horn-rimmed glasses.

Waigong passed away a few weeks ago at 91. My last conversation with him was at Wynne's wedding. I asked if he still did Chinese calligraphy and he said he hadn't in years because of his eyesight. I said I was hoping he could write something for me. "Just come over to my place. I have lots. You can choose from any of them." Sadly, I didn't make it to Sacramento before his passing.

Those of us who could make it convened in Sacramento for the memorial service. Although it was a sad occasion, it was also a family reunion. For me, and I think for all of us, family reunions are times of joy, and waigong loved them, perhaps most of all. I think all the cousins and aunts and uncles gathering together, enjoying each other's company, is his greatest legacy.

No comments: